Thursday, May 28, 2009

Blogging Blind

Because I feel that paying 7.95 for internet in an international airport is ludicrous, I’m blogging blind (a la Yoani Sanchez’s Generación Y blog…check it out) and will post tomorrow. So despite what the blog says, this entry is for May 27th, my day of departure. How exciting is that?! So, I’m actually amazed by the number of people of color that are in my little terminal area! I think they’re all Brazilian, but whatever…hooray for melanin.

So I find it amusing that my flight had a 17 minute long tarmac wait in COLUMBIA, yes Columbia’s Metropolitan Airport with a whopping 16 gates had me sitting on the grey for 17 minutes waiting for clearance. What a way to start my trip…So on the flight I got an exit row (score! Extra legroom) and no see partner (score! No pointless conversations); the one downside of my journey was the screaming British child behind me who made plan noises the entire 44 minutes of the flight. After arriving in Atlanta, considering I have 2 hours to kill, I have actually walked the concourse instead of taking that metro thing. There’s actually some pretty cool artwork in there…NASA photos of the universe to be exact, a very odd thing to have in the airport but I guess we’re just going for an overall sky theme.

Sidebar: Listening to an Argentine woman ask a Japanese man “Esta chino”…shakes head. I look forward to the political incorrectness of Latin America.

Back to my blog entry, passing through the Concourse there was a ton of troops in uniforms, and I mean a TON…they occupy over half of the concourse. I guess they’re off to you know where as well as Korea, which may be the next “you know where” at the current rate. That depressed me but they’re in my thoughts.

So, what to expect in Argentina. Clearly more fanny packs, bad hair cuts, and puffy pants form judging from my waiting area. And…of course. Conversation, as strangers chat up one another, I’m always amazed by the openness and simultaneous conservatism displayed by Latin Americans. Anyhow, enough blogging. Off to talk to my darling, have a glass of vino tinto, and give one last beso to the U.S. before getting on my flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment